Wednesday, November 5, 2008

YES WE DID!!! the end of cynicism...

Any lingering cynicism in me has been vanquished! The idealist in me has won!

I am so so so so happy!

Barack Hussein Obama is the President Elect of the United States of America!


It's 10:31 am here in Moscow...(2:31 am in NYC)

Last night at 8:45pm here, I took some xanax (just .05 mg. I had to--you know me--I was so excited I could not sleep) and went to bed and was up at 5am (10:00pm in NYC) to turn on the KCRW (California NPR station) Simulcast on iTunes and to watch the Yahoo! News Dashboard, the CNN Live News Feed and to talk with friends on gchat and facebook to be connected to this great moment!!
The Internet is amazing, right?!!!



I am so so so SAD I am missing the celebrations in NYC right now and wish I was in AMERICA, but can, with no cynicism say--I love AMERICA and I am proud to be AMERICAN today!

I cried during McCain's lovely and respectful concession speech--it was really really great and I loved it when he asked his supporters to join him not only in congratulating, but in supporting President Barack Obama!

Thank you, John!

Your kind and gracious words of unity are needed and moved me a lot!




and THEN! Oh and THEN during Barack's speech-- I wept, cheered and threw my arms in the air in joy over and over!!!!




I loved it when he said: " I will listen to you, especially when we disagree..."

and I literally sobbed when he said:

"Tonight we proved once more that the true strength of our nation comes not from the might of our arms or the scale of our wealth, but from the enduring power of our ideals: democracy, liberty, opportunity and unyielding hope."

and this:

"And while the Democratic Party has won a great victory tonight, we do so with a measure of humility and determination to heal the divides that have held back our progress.

As Lincoln said to a nation far more divided than ours, we are not enemies but friends. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection."

and this:

" (this movement)...drew strength...from the millions of Americans who volunteered and organized and proved that more than two centuries later a government of the people, by the people, and for the people has not perished from the Earth."

YES WE CAN!!!
(we DID!!!!)

(I just cried again when I pasted it in there...)

and I was inspired by these humble, wise and true words:

"This victory alone is not the change we seek. It is only the chance for us to make that change. And that cannot happen if we go back to the way things were."



This part was important to me, too:

"It's the answer spoken by young and old, rich and poor, Democrat and Republican, black, white, Hispanic, Asian, Native American, gay, straight, disabled and not disabled. "

( we are accounted for, yippee!!!)



You guys this is a great day!


A new day...
Nov. 5, 2008. 10:30 am. Moscow, Russia

(looking west toward America from my window here in Moscow)


Especially today, I love and miss America --and what it represents-- so very much!

AND I miss and Love all of you!
(me this morning, very happy, with the westward facing view behind me)


God bless you and God bless AMERICA!!!!

(now--about Prop 8.....hmmm... sad sad sad...but that's a blog for tomorrow--today is all about JOY!
Oh HAPPY DAY!)

5 comments:

martha corinna said...

It is a new day, and I feel it! I will write a post today that most of my friends will probably not agree with, but I believe!
It was a beautiful speech and I am proud that I was a part of it, and I am so happy that my children were born into this new era, when hope is alive (at least among those of us who CHOOSE not to be cynical).
I miss you!

Laurel Leaves said...

Date-night. I love you so much. I am proud to be part of the 33% that voted for change. Don't be a stranger write me sometime punkin.

~Amy Laurel

McCall and Tyler said...

I found your blog, because I miss you! And I have now been edified by your beautiful writing and emotion. I love you, Nate! I didn't know you were in Russia. I really want your address so I can send you a CD of my music--a project that has been dear to my heart this year. Email me please! mccall@mccallerickson.com XOXOXXOXOX

King Family said...

oh nathan! so exciting for me as well! i kept singing "solid as barack" to seth all day in celebration! for reals though we witnessed a great moment in history.

Kristin said...

Let's pretend we're going on a date to the inauguration.

It might be more fun than Tarzan.