Friday, November 21, 2008

HELP!!

This is a quick one:

So, I've never had a particularly hard time asking for help (...just ask my family). If I need help, I usually ask. If I don't need it,I don't. Sometimes I don't like it being offered, but I try to take it where I can get it...

So I need all of you wise and helpful readers, friends, and family to give me some advice on how to SLEEP!!!

Here's the deal:

I teach every morning at 8am in the Center of Moscow. I live like a 25 mins Metro-ride from the Center and from my house it's a 10 min walk to the Metro. So I really need to get up by 6:30am-- at the latest.

Also, I usually teach an evening class and don't get home from that until around 10pm...

I never have a hard time waking up.

(when I am up I am UP!)



I have a hard time falling asleep.

I'm not particularly anxious--don't worry--for those of you who remember my anxiety ridden early 20's, rest assured, those days have NOT returned!

I just have always needed a good 2 hours to wind down once I get home and then a good hour to really slip off into REM land...

So basically by the time I fall asleep its like 1am (if I am lucky) And...well, 6.5 hrs DOES NOT cut it for me...

Never has...I tend to get...sick...and fat...and less productive...



So, I am asking for your generous advice! Whatever it is! Give it!

(I want to avoid drugs....my little dusty orange bottle of xanax is only for special airbourne naps--and extreme emergenicas!)

Can you help?

Thank you! Thank you!
I love you all!


12 comments:

King Family said...

my mom has a hard time sleeping and takes an herb called valerian. i have used it before and it is great.

just jen said...

i have the exact same problem, and colin won't let me take sleeping pills...or i would!

the only thing that works for me is to read until my eyes are so heavy that i have to close them. but the trick is picking a book that won't keep me up...so that's the biggest challenge!

if i don't do this, my mind doesn't stop thinking...should i have started the dishwasher? did i pay the cell phone bill? should i start dying my hair? on and on and ON!

so just get a mildly interesting book, maybe one you have read before, and start reading 30 minutes before you want to fall asleep. oh, and you have to read in your bed...is that making sense?

i feel your frustration....a million miles away!

Mrs. Misses said...

I'm no help because I would just say ambien CR. I do remember reading something on Erin Curran's blog about a wonderful natural sleep something. Check our her July 22, 2008 post.

Maybe you also need to redo your schedule. Or plan naps during the day (my personal favorite). Sleep problems suck!!

Heather Anna said...

homeopathic remedy of calms forte? It helps me, my mom, sisters tune down the active brain.

Laurel Leaves said...

Nate, try yoga about an hour or 30 mins before you want to fall to sleep. Then try some chamomile tea and relaxing music.

I have the same problem and this gets my mind and body to a place where it is easier to let myself doze off. And I do not need the ambien to do it.

Also you wake feeling more rested.

Keep in mind that your body will need to adjust its clock as well, since it it not yet used to sleeping when you want it to.

If you know someone there who does energy work/massage they can actually re-set your clock. Sae Sae does it for me on occation to great effect.

I have heard good things about Valerian as well but never tried it.

Good luck.

Herrick said...

I think you know what you can do to really wind down. We all know. 99% of us do at least.

That's it.

Scott said...

I'm somewhat of an insomniac, I usually can't fall asleep until my body just completely crashes. However, when that doesn't happen, I use outside stimulus, and refuse to use drugs.
Reading can do me in at night, if i'm not at a climactic part of the book.
Relaxing music
Having outside whirring/humming noises. I have a fan in our room that runs everynight no matter how cold it is.
Going through your whole body and feel each muscle melt into the bed, so you release any muscle that is slightly tensed (learned this one from Kristin Linklater, and works wonderfully, because how can you sleep when your body is tensed?)
Counting down slowly from 100 in your head, and trying to focus only on the numbers and not outside thoughts. (If you are easily frusterated don't do this one)
Hope that helps.

Wanderer said...

Time to wind down is important...hmmm...

You've already gotten some good advice. Unfortunately I can't think of much else you can try--oh wait--maybe a hot bath with some good essential oils?

I hope you find something that works soon!!

You know I'm a massage therapist and energy worker--now if I could just somehow zip on over to Moscow...

Meagan M. Downey said...

You can try Melatonin. It is also herbal and your body makes it naturally so there are literally no side effects. It's good to help you wind down, but doesn't give you a "drugged" feeling and doesn't make it any harder to wake up even if you only have a few hours to sleep.

Karen Liu said...

I down herbal teas...I like to feel warm and cozy and relaxed. Maybe meditation to calm the mind and muscles of the body?

Kelly Jo said...

Ok, here's my 2 cents:
Here's some sleep hygiene tips we give to our clients who struggle with this:
Don't take naps, it will throw you off.
Get up at the same time, even on the weekends.
Have a regular bedtime routine that calms you down, wonderful suggestions already given, yoga, reading (although for some this activates the brain again), no tv, warm milk, lavender.
Um, there are others but I forget right now.
Also, our psychiatrist often suggests a magnesium supplement to take about an hr or so before sleep. With some of my clients it worked like a charm!

Silus Grok said...

Reading the scriptures … a game of solitaire on my iPhone … a hot shower …

Besides things which distract you, it's also (I believe) very much about routine. I do X, Y, and Z before I go to sleep. So when I do X, Y, and Z, my body and mind know it's time to sleep.