Monday, November 10, 2008

3 Things


1) This is my friend Kristin. Kristin and I got some MFA's in the Playwriting at the Columbia U. SoA together...She is a fantastic playwright--witty and insightful. Kristin sees the world in a very unique and satisfying way. I love spending time with her because, besides being a great friend with whom I have stimulating and productive conversations, I laugh me a@# off with her. This woman is FUNNY!
So, here in Russia--I've been jonesin' for some Kristin. The other day I found her blog: Baroness VonFroberg. Go there! She reviews movies--mainly bad ones. Its fun. She kept me up laughing out loud the other night.
Thanks Kristin.
(you can click on the link above or find another link in my sidebar)



2) As promised, I have begun posting my serial novel/fake memoir/thinly veiled semi-autobiographical story/ excuse to talk about my favorite hot button issues in the form of an exciting narrative/thing-y.

It's called BIRTHRIGHT
and you can also get to it from the above link or find it in the sidebar just below my profile.

I would really like it if you would read it--at your leisure (the first installment is about 16 pages long-single spaced times new roman) AND give me your feedback.

As you may know, I have-- for the past 5-6 years-- focused almost exclusively on writing plays-- some poetry and academic essay stuff thrown in here and there--OH and blogs...

and I wanted to try something new and have some FUN with it--so I came up with this idea to write and post--and to get FEEDBACK as I go along...
Not the normal way one writes their first GREAT NOVEL--
but is an experiment!


It has been interesting writing prose narrative again.
I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm learning and discovering my style--trying things--I do a lot of editing as I write and even after I've posted.

Here in Moscow, it seems, I have less opportunity for intellectual discussion and debate-- in English at least--and this story thingy has become a place to put all that thinking to use...
I also think an interesting story is developing.




A little about it:
It takes place here in Moscow--right now and about 13 years ago.
Part of the story takes place in Illinois in 1844.
Part of it takes place in northern Ireland in the early 17th century.
There are former Mormon missionaries in it.
There are gay people in it. (surprise!)
There is a lot of talk about political theories and history.
There is a lot of talk about current events.
There are some moral dilemmas...
There is some romance...
(most of it gay...not too elicit though...but it may be tricky for the more conservative reader...JUST A NOTE...ya know...
a warning!)

For the literary--and not so literary-- folk, here are a couple other works that I think have been informing me as I write:

1) Baldwin's "Giovanni's Room"
2) Hemingway's "The Sun Also Rises"
3) Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Bulgakov and to a lesser degree Chekhov
4) Kushner's "Angels in America"
also--this may be horrible, but 5) Mitchel's "Gone with the Wind"
and, of course, 6) the current global and political landscape



Please let me know what you think!

You could seriously help me by being honest and REALLY telling me what you think--about it all:
the opinions my characters express
the language and my use of it--is it working?
the developing narrative structure
the questions it brings up for you about the many issues I am exploring and generally b.s-ing about =)

Do comment and help me out--encourage me to write....
or not...





3) I had something--a piece of dust or dirt--stuck in my eye for like 4 hours today and it HURT so bad!
It is my least favorite thing in the world.
something in the eyes!!!!

UGGHHH!!!

...its better now.

Thanks for reading!



8 comments:

martha corinna said...

The sun also rises is one of my all time favorites. I started reading your novel the other day. I am afraid for me, it will be slow going, but I will let you know.

cathy said...

I'll read it too-just give me time. Also try wearing mascara and getting a piece of that crap in your eye!

Erin said...

Ooh, I hate something in the eye!
I can't wait to read. Hooray! Hooray!

~ Love you

Carolyn Jess-Cooke said...

the novel sounds great! I'm from Northern Ireland and am excited you're using the place (though you do know Donegal ISN'T in N.I.? Just checking!) Good luck with it!
X

Nathan said...

Hey C jess-cooke!
Thanks for your well-wishes and I'm so pleases you're reading it!
Yes, I do know that County Donegal is not in Northern Ireland-- but, in my research, I've discovered that county Donegal was part of the "Ulster Plantation" by the English Crown in the early 17th century. And when I say "Ulster Plantation" I am using the generally accepted term for the process which moved loyal English and Scottish families into what is now (mainly =) Northern Ireland to create a Protestant and loyal population. Because of certain--blah blah blah--details, I've set my story in County Donegal which was VERY much a part of this process--in my understanding... Maybe you can shed some more light on it for me? =)
Thanks for reading again!

Nathan said...

ahhh yes--I see that I spelled northern Ireland with a large N--I should have used a wee one =)
Thanks C jess-cooke =)

Laurel Leaves said...

Go Nate! I will make the time to read your novel and am looking forward to it.

And for a brief intro... C-jess-cook (you tart!) Nate is the one who cooked sae sae in the tub and pretended it was a cook show with me.

Nate, C-jess is the best friend of my wee sister.

I need to find that video... Sarah Soup. rofl.

Love you!

Laurel Leaves said...

OK I have been doing a lot of coverage and writing this week so I thought I would not be up for reading your story tonight.

Before I know it I am halfway through it! I am really enjoying this! I love the sexuality of it because it is innocent in a way and I LOVE the cups. You use symbolisms so well and the dialogue is a conversation I feel like I want to be having with them.

It is beautiful thus far. I did see a typo but I can't remember where.

I love the subtext, and I *love* the line “You say I mean a lot.”

I will read the next half later and no doubt bore you with my thoughts ;)

XoXo
Amy