Monday, November 3, 2008

One Day More!




I think we should vote for Barack Hussein Obama because he is.... black.

Yes.

I said it.

The fact that Obama is "a person of color", of "mixed race", a "member of a racial minority", a "son of immigrants"--blah blah--all of that puts him at the top of my list!

Of course you all know--because you read all of my "Gone with the Gays" post-- that I think the very existence of "race" as something definitive is, most likely, one of numerous merely linguistic and largely arbitrary conventions we human beings use to describe what we perceive as differences between groups of people.

In other words--who cares what color a person's skin is or where he comes from or who his parents are!

Honestly, I do sincerely believe that when it comes to a person's character, intelligence, ability--anything--the above factors don't tell me, or anyone, anything definitive.

So why do I say that I think we should vote for Obama because he is black?

Well, of course, I'm sorta kidding--but as the Russians say "в каждой чутке есть доля чуткы" (v kazhdoi shutke yest dolya shutki) which translates to something like "in every joke there's a little piece of a joke".... think about it.... aaaaaand....Ok. Got it?...Ok. Good. Moving on.

So basically, there's something quite serious about what I am saying about my reason for believing in Obama's presidency.

And why do I say that?

I think I say that because a) I am an idealist and because b) I'm a cynic.

I believe someone once said that every cynic began as an idealist, but I am actually both at the same time.

Let's start with b).

I am a cynic because, or rather because I am a cynic, I actually don't believe Presidents really do that much.
Particularly American Presidents.
I don't think they have as much power to bring about sweeping changes, as they--or we --like to believe.
I am disinclined to really get behind the idea that a lot changes in government or the lives of people simply because someone new takes office.

With a few notable exceptions, Presidents tend to be little more than points of reference on the history charts.

(Those of you who are real history buffs--please call me out on this--but I think you take my point, that with a few major exceptions, Presidents simply are one part of much larger social, political and historical movements and, at best, respond to change rather than affect it.)

I am also cynical, when it comes right down it, about whether Obama's approaches to our Nation's crippling ailments are VASTLY better than John McCain's. (Lets all pray that they are because I am voting for him and so are you!!!)

I hardly consider myself a real Democrat, and when I do consider myself a real Democrat, its only because I think its the better choice, not the RIGHT choice.

Here's--hopefully--the bottom line when it comes to my cynicism regarding American Presidents: I am cynical about people in power. I don't trust them.

I mean-- what kind of human being really wants to be President of United States of America? I can't really answer that, because I don't know anyone like that, and that kind of scares me....

Maybe I could be a better President?

Personally, if you're looking for good people, I think Allison Dawn Green Moschetti should run for office.

All this said--there is this little part of me that wants to believe in Obama's story--that he is a candidate of HOPE and CHANGE. His personal story--and remember we all tell our stories the way we like them told--is pretty f******** amazing. (I mean--have you read "Dreams From My Father"? The whole thing. Not just the excerpts you got in that e-mail from Uncle Chuck up in Coeur D’Alene )

So this leads us to a) the idealist part of me.

I believe in people.
I believe in love.
I believe that everyone who has ever walked on this earth and the anyone who ever will is worthy of love and deserves some respect.
I believe that we are in fact responsible to each other.
I believe in a broad and literal interpretation of these words from the Declaration of Independence:

that all men are created equal and endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights... ...that Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

And in this phrase from the Preamble from the Constitution:

We the people of the United States...


And in Lincoln's interpretation of the above phrase from his Gettysburg Address:

...that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth...

The more time I spend in a nation where there is little to no real access to power for the average citizen, the more I value these ideas.

The idea that government should literally represent the people--that a government should, in fact, be its people. This is a lofty and most likely unattainable goal. But for me, what The American Experiment stands for is the commitment to that ideal--that despite its unattainably, we will continue to try to make it a reality.

Now, back to Presidents.

If a President does anything at all--he represents the American people. Not only does he represent the American people to the world, but he also represents the American people to themselves. And when I say, "represent" I don't mean in a demographic way--I mean in an ideological way.

Let's remember some of the Presidents that represented a needed and, retrospectively, important shift in the way we, as Americans--as the government--wanted to see ourselves and the world:

George Washington, to start with... Abraham Lincoln (a Republican) F.D. Roosevelt (a Democrat) J.F. Kennedy (a Democrat) Ronald Reagan (a Republican)....surprised? But I love his "its morning in America" quote.

...And how about a couple bad ones:

Richard Nixon (a Republican) George W. Bush (a Republican)

All of these Presidents have come to represent an ideology and general feeling--and for better or worse, some real changes--about the time in which their Presidencies occurred.

I am looking at my passport right now--it’s got like three big Russian Visas covered with orange and blue entry and exit stamps and other similar stamps from the UK and Finland and Estonia and Norway. If I had my old one--it would have stamps from Romania and Hungary and Germany too...

As an American abroad, I can tell you--at least in these places--every one's got an opinion about America. America represents something to everyone.

America represents a lot to me, too. I hope it represents a lot to you too.

The idealist in me loves the United States of America very much.
The idealist in me doesn't care at all whether America is the greatest military or economic power on earth, whether our foreign policy is dominant in Latin America, the Middle East or anywhere. I don't even care how abysmally low the current state of our Health Care system is ranked in the world by the United Nations !!!34th!!! (Although I do care a lot about the actual state of our Health Care system)

I do care enormously about how we Americans see ourselves and thereby how we interact with the rest of the world, because--take it from Jesus--do unto others as you would have done unto you--love thy neighbor as thyself-- and, from less godly sources-- what goes around comes back around...

The prevailing opinion of our neighbors, the best I can see in my current neck of the woods, is that America is not a good neighbor... that America really isn't living up to--even for its own people--its lofty ideals.

You see, I want to believe in an America where we really really do believe that every human being is equal and where we can and do strive for a government for the people, by the people and of the people.


America is a land of incredible diversity--we are a nation of immigrants and displaced peoples--we are a nation that while founded on the ideals of equality, has--right from the start--struggled with a horrible inability to truly realize this ideal.

We are a nation whose early economy was largely based on the labor of slaves! Human beings who were not, contrary to the beautiful and elegant language in the Declaration, considered equal--legally!!!

We have come a long way in changing this--I am always moved by the realization that we have made so much progress--but there is still so much to be done.

We are a nation where each subsequent wave of immigrants--whether your people came from Ireland, or Italy, or Sweden, or China, or Japan, or England, or India, or Mexico, or Puerto Rico, or the DR or India or Kampuchea or Sudan (.... I LOVE AMERICA!!!....)--Each wave has had to and continues to struggle to be fairly represented in our national and political life.

I want to believe in this American ideal--that we really can build a nation where everyone is equal and has access to government. Where the government is truly for the people and by the people. I want to be able to turn to my friends in other nations and say, “ Look we really are making good on that promise...it can really happen!”

and I want to look with you, my fellow citizens, on a nation that believes in its own ideals and is committed to the constant improvement and implementation of these ideals.
You guys, it's time--it's time--it is time to take another big step in, at least representationally, following through with the implementation of this ideal.

I want the next President of the United States of America to represent the idea that "government for the people, by the people, and of the people shall not perish from the earth" in a way that no previous President has.

When Barack Obama becomes the next President of the United States of America it will not mean that we have overcome racism in America--or that now immigrants and disenfranchised people have a definitive voice.

It will just be a HUGE representation of the fact that America really believes in such ideals.

If it seems like I am dismissing the "real" issues like the Economy, the War, National Security, Health Care, Education...well, I am a little. Not because they are not important, but because, I don't believe it makes a lot of difference which of the candidate becomes President when it comes to these issues.

While I hope and am putting my money behind the idea that Obama will do a better job with the issues, I don't think either of our candidates are disasters....

While I don't very much agree with McCain on anything and I tend to agree with Obama on a lot more, I think both--as leaders, as human beings are probably...hmmm...equal--qualified--whatever....

(hell, I even kinda like McCain. Did you see him on SNL?)

But AMERICA! AMERICA! Needs something more than just a likable or qualified President--it needs to be able to see itself as a nation that believes in and makes good on its ideals...

...And whatever way you shake it--Obama represents that in a profound and real way.

He represents change that is founded in our dearest ideals of equality and true government "for the people, by the people and of the people."

So, to circle back to my opening statement, do I really think that voting for Obama because he's black--or mixed--or whatever--is a good reason.

No, of course not.

Not in a country where we REALLY believe and REALLY ACT in away that reflects the belief that all human beings are created equal and thereby entitled to the same rights and same access to government....

...but are we that country?

I want us to be.

All things being equal--even if the candidates are--in all other regards-- "equal"--the fact that Barack Obama better represents the ideal of equality, makes him a better choice for the office of President.

The world is entering--has entered--a new era, where I think America has to accept the reality that it needs to take its place as an equal among the nations--not as the great leader of nations.

This doesn't mean we cease to be the incredibly unique nation we have been and hopefully still will be, but it means we have to be willing to change and grow in new ways.

It means that we have to think long and hard about what it means to be an American and to work hard at making what this means a reality...

and I think most of us believe that the ideals of equality and a government that genuinely represents its people and their ideals should be its foundation.

For me, Barack Obama as President will represent this type of thinking best...

Among the many many things to think about before, as and when you step into that booth tomorrow, I hope you will consider what I've said!

I start to cry a little every time I think about not being there tomorrow!

I really think America is stepping up to the plate, you guys!

Let's do it! Let's make good on those promises!!!

4 comments:

martha corinna said...

I concur (for the most part). The other day on NPR they were talking about Education. Among industrialized nations we rank 20th! And guess what, we spend the most.
Anyway, today on Radio West, a history professor from Harvard was talking about the cynicism and basic lack of enthusiasm for voting (also the history). She was saying that in many ways she misses the idealism of the early days when our country was really dependent on voting. She said we should vote as if we are the only ones voting and as if the well being of our country depended on our vote. If we did this, we would obviously take voting more seriously.
It's hard not to be cynical, but as Garison Kellior said, "Cynical people never accomplish much".

Erin said...

Thank you again, friend.

just jen said...

yes, i agree that the president (whoever it will be) will probably not accomplish even 1/3 of what he has promised during his campaign...and then i get discouraged.

why should i even vote?

but i will...still not decided, though. maybe it will come to me as i am standing in the booth.

Herrick said...

yes yes yes

The position of President is a reflection of our ideals. They don't and can't really do much as an individual. Their ability to represent and inspire the people and in turn, the house and senate, is where change happens.

The symbol of Barack(and everything that means) as president is far more powerful for change in our country and positive world citizenship than any of his specific policy ideals.

So in that regard, I completely agree with you. Not only did I vote for him in spite of his race, but also, because of his race.

It's a new day!!!!