Saturday, November 15, 2008

HOPE!!!

I found this through a friend on facebook.

Please watch this well edited 2 minute clip, but first:

Over the past week, in my anger, frustration, disappointment and disillusionment over Prop 8, I've felt like saying--concerning some of the "bad" things people have been doing in response to the vote--I felt like saying:

"Well, what did you all expect?"

I've been really disoriented and unsure about where to go. About how to move forward.

Then I watched this video ten minutes ago and was reminded about what I really believe.

Here's what I think:

We need a little less of the angry people shouting in front of Temples, a little less boycotting of Mormon businesses, we need fewer people feeling they must resign because they voted YES on 8, we need NO white powder in envelopes, and NO MORE people whining about being "victimized" on both sides, and we need A LOT MORE of this kind of HOPE!

We all have been victims at one point or another and we all know how it feels.
We also know that it is within our power to rise above victimization!
In fact it is our only choice.

I'm not saying we don't protest, I'm not saying we don't get angry, I'm not saying we don't demand change--but I'd like to see it happen from our side with a little more compassion and civility.

Particularly where we have been so marginalized and our position so misrepresented , ignored and maligned--we should respond with that much more interest, respect, and compassion.

Where they refuse to acknowledge the legitimacy of our lives and feelings, we MUST respond with a demand, an unwavering belief and a HOPE that all people's lives and feelings can be legitimized and acknowledged in this great Nation.

Watch and let me know what you think!
I was really really really moved!




(Harvey Milk was the first openly-gay man to be elected to public office in the US in 1977. His most recognized speech, "You Cannot Live On Hope Alone," was given in 1978, shortly before he was assassinated. ...)

13 comments:

A Lost Plum... said...

this is going to be a great movie.....p.s. i love you:)
katie

just jen said...

i too, am surprised at the backlash on the mormon church. they aren't the only ones that voted in this election...

we all just need to love each other. a lot.

Nathan said...

Jen,

I am not surprised by the backlash... what goes around comes around, ya know?

I'm just saying it be nice if we could rise above it!!

We do need to love each other--we ALL do!

Heather Anna said...

http://jakearnell.blogspot.com/

I linked over to this from a friend's blog today. I'm not sure why. But I loved reading it and I appreciated your thoughts today too.

I am very tired :( but I'm trying to figure it out.

Meg McLynn said...

Thank you, Nathan, for posting this clip. And thank you, Harvey Milk, for being so brave and ahead of your time. It is all about hope these days. We're living in a disjointed world, and the more blame we assign, the less responsibility we take, the less common ground we discover. We do need to love each other, even those who have a hard time seeing us as human.

King Family said...

nate. you know where i stand on this one. i wish more people on both sides could have your well rounded thoughtful opinions. my biggest issue is that i am sad that of all the churches involved the lds church is getting targeted the most. although they supported the vote for prop 8 from my perspective of all of the religions the lds church is the most loving. i don't know. just this girl's opinion. love ya.

martha corinna said...

I don't know. It doesn't matter anyway. It's the end of the world you know, at least that's what Glen Beck told me.

Laurel Leaves said...

I just saw this post recently and refered a friend of mine to it.

I told her that I have not seen a ton of backlash on the Mormons but more so on black voter turn out.

But then as she deftly pointed out I don't read the Deseret News ;)

You make not only a valid point but one that people on both sides of the issue should think about.

What a great video. Very inspiring.

Erin said...

Agreed. We need love, sweet love.

Thanks for sharing, my friend.

Kelly Jo said...

Oh how I miss you Nathan!!

Thanks for sharing this. I have been thinking about this a lot lately and have a struggle in my head about all of it. I went to the blog heather anna posted and what a well written response to Prop 8.

I agree on the hope and love part. Can't we all embrace each other with more compassion?

Katie Riggs Hansen said...

Oh sweet Nathan. Thank you for your thoughtful comment on my blog. Thank you for this one too.You were not rude, I just had to take it down because people were picking fights with each other through my blog because they didn't have the nerve to speak to each other as respectful adults in person. It just wasn't the place for them to be passive aggressive. You know what I'm sayin?

I think the only thing we can really do about this whole issue is right a musical. What do you think?

Mrs. Misses said...

Great video. I have been watching and following everything I can on this issue and I do have to say that "victims" is a very fitting word. We have nothing but pointing fingers on both sides and a lot of hate from both ends. I wish people would stop being so defensive and start caring about people. Give each other hope.

I just agree with Martha that its the end of the world anyway.

matthewgoldallen said...

I was having a terrible night, and then I came upon your blog and listened to these words and I wept. I wept because of the sadness that I feel for humanity. My heart has been hurting. I just want you to know that you have been in my thoughts. I want you to know that I love you. Thanks for the glimmer of HOPE.