Friday, November 16, 2007

Oslo and the Viking Ship Musuem

So, after that raucous and irreverent descent into narcissistic revelry, I thought I'd briefly return to my recent trip to the Northern Nations and post a few pictures of my last stop. Oslo, Norway....this is for you Timand the Vikingskipshuset (Viking Ship Musuem) and the Forskningsparken (which I have to call the Naked Statue Park because I don't know exactly how it is in English... The Forsking Park? Tim?)

I really liked Oslo alot. I wish I had had more time to spend there--I was only there two days and I'm sure the city has a great deal to offer. But, right now, besides the Viking Ship Musuem and the Naked People Park all I really tell people about Oslo is how EXPENSIVE it was!--and how many prostitutes approached me every night on Karl Johhan's Gate (The main street in Oslo that runs from the train station to the Royal Palace--

Oh--also Henrik Ibsen, very significant to the development of modern theatrical form, is from Norway and has a street named after him just west of the Royal Palace.... Henrik Ibsen's Gate (Gate means street, right?)

Also--on the train from Bergen to Oslo I met three awesome young ladies who are studying for an semester at the University of Oslo--Frouke and Leida who are from Amsterdam and Kirsi from.....FINLAND!!!!

We went to dinner that evening and I got a burger for 108 kroner (1 US Dollar=5.1 Kroner....you do the math...okay, I'll do it--yes that's $21.00...and no, it wasn't an upscale restaraunt--just a little pubby place)


All the money issues aside, it was WORTH it to visit the Viking Ship Musuem and, of course, just to be in Norway--I've always been fascinated by the Viking period and the image of the beautifuly restored Oseberg ship resting in this elegant light filled white hall was something I'd seen in so many books--it was really moving to be there in that room....

There are actually three restored ships in the musuem in three adjoined halls, as well as displays of artifacts and items from the period found along with the ships....

Here are a few pictures from the Naked Statues Park

And getting ready to board Finair (the second safest airline in the world) Airbus home to New York.

12 comments:

martha corinna said...

I like the naked statue park:)

Kelly Jo said...

I was a Viking in high school, Miami East Vikings. . .does that count for being connected to the Vikings in Oslo?

Kristin said...

Nathan Wright, you are in my homeland. Which I've never visited. You look like you're enjoying it though, so I can live vicariously through you!

King Family said...

Is it really called the Naked Statue Park? That is great. You are such a great photographer. Your trip has made me want to sell my house and travel the world, kids in tow of course.

martha corinna said...

I just realized that my comment sounds a little beavis and buttheadish.

I dare you to say something beavis and buttheadish on Tim's blog.

Nathan said...

Tim has a blog?

Mrs. Misses said...

This is beautiful and I wish I had been with you to make up stories about each cluster of statues. We could have written a book.

Mrs. Misses said...

YAY! You've been tagged again! You will have to read my blog again and just do it, cause I'm freakin in love with you and I want to hear all about it!!!!

The Lead Singer said...

UM...

I'm so in love with your blog right now! Your trip sounds amazing. Jealous. I miss you, Nate. Let's talk sometime. I leave for China on Saturday so if not by then then we'll have to wait till I get back in six months!

The Cullimore's said...

How are you ever going to cope now that your trip is over?!? Awesome pics...

Mrs. Misses said...

K, you're really starting to piss me off. Where are you??

Nigel said...

I'd really like to see more of the naked statue park. I did a google image search for "forskningsparken"and just got maps for the trains. Help?