Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Good-bye Helsinki

So, I took the Viking Line Ferry to Stockholm and left this beautiful and kind city I learned to love so much in the two weeks I was there. Here are some parting pictures of Helsinki and the generous and wonderful friends I made there. I love you all and miss you Helsinki...I'LL BE BACK!!!


Me and Kimmo, a friend I met in Helsinki who is really a fantastic guy..he came to see me off at the ferry... Sad to say good bye!

This is Jukka and Howard, the couple who were SO indredibly generous and helpful, they really took care of me and of course, insisted on driving me and my luggage to the ferry and along with Kimmo, made sure I got on the boat okay. These guys are GREAT!

Churches, Chruches, Churches...I really dig Scandinavian style in architecture--BUT, to be accurate and respectful, Finland is NOT Scandinavia...though its history and much of its culture is closely connected to the Sweden, and therefore the other Scandies. But its language, and in my opinion, its approach to others and itself are quite unique...I love it.


Anyway, this last Church, gray stone with green-I'm assuming copper-- roofs and trim is in Kallio, an area of Helsinki, where I satyed with Juha-mikko, another friend who you'll see momentarily. He lives there and so does Kimmo, who is pictured with me above. He and Juha-Mikko are best friends. Anyway, this church really drew me in....its beautiful in a way that is at once severe and contemplative....thoughts?


Kimmo and Juha-Mikko on a little trip to a cafe overlooking an old mill and dam.

A hockey match in Vantaa (Finland's second city), where Inkeri, my first host and her boyfriend Peteri took me.... it was a lot of fun--particularly this very yong fan who is concerned about preserving his hearing...good for him!
And Howard, who was born in Taiwan, who came to Helsinki to study 13 years ago, who, best I can tell, speaks fantastic Finnish and who hates to be photographed!
And then me against the Baltic and the sun. And below, Inkeri--a great friend who also happens to be a post-person(she delivers the Finnish mail) and is exceedingly generous and helpful!!!

1 comment:

martha corinna said...

I would love to go to Stockholm. It seems so beautiful and interesting. I recently made a Stockholm blogging buddy, she is beautiful.