Thursday, October 23, 2008

Whatever....okay...I'll stop talking about things that really matter...

Since I can't seem to generate a lot of discussion with my posts about the precarious state of the Great Lakes, or the intersection of gay rights, Gone with the Wind, religious....umm...fervor, and racism, I thought I'd return to the silly and sweet that has proved safer for you all and me....

Here are some videos:

First:

Heart's biggest hit of 1989 "All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You"





I really hope you enjoyed that as much as I did...

Now, I don't want to draw any attention away from what a fine example of late 80's Butt Rock Pop Videography we have here. ( I mean Ann Wilson's big dark top heavy tendrilled hair all back-blasted with light and her red pencil-defined lips wrapping around this melody are all just thrilling. Really! And Nancy Wilson's own love making there to her guitar at the end is pretty steamy. Isn't it?)

But let's talk about these lyrics for a moment, shall we?

I have to say my favorite line--really the fusion of melody and lyric-- has always been the build up to the immortal hook ( i.e. all I wanna do is make love to you):

Here is that build up:

I didnt ask him his name,
This lonely boy in the rain.
Fate, tell me its right,
Is this love at first sight?
Please dont make it wrong,
Just stay for the night.

All I wanna do is make love to you....blah blah

But how about in the second verse?

He brought the woman out of me,
So many times, easily...

Umm...I'm blushing, Ann. Really.

And then--this is killer. Really:


I am the flower you are the seed
We walked in the garden
We planted a tree

Yuck.

And then in the late- 80's-synth-electric guitar-break-it-down bridge when she coos:

We made love...
Love like strangers...
We made laaa--uuuv....

That's pretty damn cool, too.

So. If you didn't catch it from the video, let's make it clear what this song is really all about?

It's about her having sex with this hot stud she found on the road so she could have a baby because apparently her man didn't have the seed for her flower to grow a tree....

And I thought it was about straight up dirty hotel room fornication!!!



Okay another video:


Second:

Travis sent me this video about the struggle to prevent Asian Carp from entering the Great Lakes ecosystem, because he really cares. Just kidding--I know a lot of you do!

Here are people really working to save the Lakes! The video is interesting... Thanks Travis!

(also, bear in mind as you watch this that what is being shown here ARE NOT the GREAT LAKES, but the Mississippi and Illinois Rivers, beautiful in their own special way, but nothing like the Lakes!)



4 comments:

just jen said...

i love, love, love that song by heart. i can still hear my dad blasting that sing in the car...wait, is that kind of creepy?

well, it's not. my dad just happens to love that song.

i never realized about the baby part, thanks for enlightening me.

Erin said...

That song always cracks me up. I remember one day listening to that song in the car with Colleen (mum), and singing along and then all of a sudden realizing what she was talkin' 'bout. AWKWARD!

Hey, I care about the lakes too! I just didn't get the chance to comment on it...yet.
How's Travis doing anyway? Tell 'im hi!

Kelly Jo said...

um, so I started reading about Gone with the Wind/Gays, but well, come on, can we say LONG?! ;) Luv you, but when I'm reading quickly before I go to work. . .I couldn't be late!
Miss you!

Mrs. Misses said...

I didn't watch the Asian Carp because I don't really care. What can I really do to help? Nothing.
*snickerty snick

I remember this same Heart conversation when we were driving together in Park City. I don't remember when but I know it was the same yucky song.