Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Irony

Isn't it ironic... don't ya think?
A little too ironic...
yeah I really do think....



I don't often use this blog to voice my passions, whether artistic, emotional, political or otherwise...

( most of you who know me, know that I can be quite vocal about those passions...)

But, I am not posting in order to assert my opinion as the correct one concerning certain propositions supported by certain churches in a certain state....

(most of you can probably guess my opinion on that issue)

But isn't it ironic that a Church that for decades faced horrible pressure from the federal government because of its controversial and unconventional definition of marriage is now the loudest voice of support for the banning of another group of people's controversial and unconventional definition of marriage?

Isn't that ironic?(1888. Utah State Penitentiary. Men serving sentences for the practice of polygamy. George Q. Cannon and Francis M. Lyman, members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, are among the men pictured)

I'm sure there will be many of you who will come up with a thousand reasons why the comparison is unfair and that a parallel like this cannot be drawn. Feel free. I would like to hear your responses. But please understand: I'm not a snippy, smart-ass, activist, angry ex-Mormon looking to ruffle feathers here or exorcise my anger.

I've done my homework and studied and written about this period in Utah and Church history. But I'm not posting to give a history lesson.

Many of you know--if you know me at all--know how much I love the Church and what it has given me. How grateful I am for the garden in which I was grown. For the richness and the love I am blessed with because of the Church in which I was raised. You know that I have an incredible passion for the study and the history of this incredible religious movement. That I have a deep love and respect for the struggles and sacrifices of its early members. That I have been positively impacted by the kind, loving, dedicated men and women who were my teachers and leaders while I attended this Church. You also know that I have devoted a great deal of my creative energy and writing to the honest, genuine, and hopeful exploration of my spiritual identity and heritage. You know that I do not shy away from difficult conversations about the Church--and that I am often accused by my, shall we say, more liberal friends of being too defensive and supportive of the Church considering particular aspects of my own identity.

Whatever. Blah blah blah...

Point is: I'm not bashing the Church.

All I am saying is:

Isn't it ironic?



9 comments:

Erin said...

It's like ra-i-ain on your wedding day, it's a free ri-i-ide when you've already paid... sorry, I had to get into at least a little bit of the song.
Dear Nate, thanks for sharing your insights. A blog is a great place to share your passions and ideas. I have to admit, this is an issue I think about frequently as it is something I hear about every day. However, I tend to keep my views to myself most of the time. I just appreciate your openness and want you to know I love you. You're muy importante to me, my friend. Thanks for sharing!

King Family said...

nathan t. wright,
i love you too! you have always been one to study all sides so i value you your opinion so much! i don't really know what mine is..i guess i haven't really thought about it because i don't want to. i know what my opinion should be and am scared that it might not be that...make sense?

Unknown said...

As an Episcopalian, I find my own Church dealing with some of the same issues - including the ordination of openly gay clergy. I too find it ironic that while everyone in the Church has known that there are many gay people in the clegy, it is only when the Church attempts to be open and transparent that is causes a backlash. Those who voice the strongest and most vocal objections often remind of the Pharisees in Bible!!

Herrick said...

Great post. Even though we've had about 10 yrs. of discussing this issue together, including long Facebook discussions in the last 24 hours, I still want answers.

Can I blindly have faith in the unforseen?

This is a tough one. I believe in civil liberties and political compassion for all people. It's not my place to force my moral belief system on others.

I feel drained and exhausted over this issue and my frustration with it.

Right now, my love for my gay brothers and sisters trumps my current ability to blindly follow and have faith in the unforseen positive and negative consequences...

I don't think questioning makes me a bad Mormon or supporter, it just makes me human.

The struggle continues...

Fordney said...

I can't stop singing Ironic now-- Blast you Nathan!
I love you and I miss you. When in the world am I going ta' see ya' again?

cathy said...

Hey Nate-When am I going to get to talk to you in person again?!! I hope you make a trip out here to see me when your back in the great USA! To the post-I also have questioned and struggled with it-but unlike you I am not necessarily forced to deal with it day after day. I have a lot of my own issues, I have had real struggles in my life with aspects and teachings of my church-but where I have come to today is that it is all done on faith and faith alone. I have to have faith in my Prophet, that he will lead us through this time-through ultimately our Savior and his plan. If I don't have faith in the Prophet what do I really have?-a church that I enjoy?-a fun place to drop 10% of our income?-there would be almost nothing there for me- I need faith in our prophet that he truly speaks the will of our Savior. I hope you were really looking for our true responses on this and will not be offended-you know I love you and wish this could all be easier. Maybe this is now getting a little to personal-so...I wish I had your words and even your intellect to say a little more eloquently what I mean and feel.

just jen said...

this is hard for me...why can't everyone just accept each other and allow everyone the same rights...i am in such turmoil about this issue i can't even begin to tell you.

i really like what your sister cathy wrote. she's a smart cookie.

Mrs. Misses said...

I have wanted to post on your blog for weeks now. I have even imagined the comments in my head and edited them to sound perfect and grammatically correct. But now its so late and I can't find the words again. I read your blog on my fabulous and technologically advanced iphone but commenting in the lengthy fashion that I am accustomed to and have the desire for is not the most appealing on a touch phone. But who has time to sit down at the computer anymore? I'll tell you - not me. At least not very often. And now I am finding the time after finishing many things that I needed to...

What I want to say is that I think it is VERY ironic and I completely hear you and agree.

Thank you.

ElderH said...

It is Ironic.

The fact that the church suffered extreme persecution for its marriage practices which were based on their religious beliefs gives credibility to now loudly seeking government support to protect the marriage practice that it supports.

And what did the church do once it was established that their practice was not legal in the United States by the Supreme Court? Cease and Desist; they changed their practice and comply with the law.

Contrast this with the other group you mention who is fighting for marriage to be redefined. What do they do when they lose a democratic battle? They fight back with riots, obstructionism, vandalism, disrespect to holy and sacred ground, and endless legal battles that cost the states and the federal government they are suing millions of dollars.

Our pioneer ancestors were imprisoned for practicing a belief. What has the gay community endured that compares to the suffering our ancestors endured under the hand of the government that gives them the right to lash against our democratic voice?