Thursday, September 18, 2008

Food!

So I am now in Moscow:
(This picture was chosen specifically for Kelly Jo and Heather because they have both commented on how much they like it when I do NOT smile in my pictures)
Behind me in the above photo, rising on the overcast horizon, are the famed and storied gothiс-like towers of МГУ (Moscow State University)
Built between 1948 and 1953, the МГУ building is the largest of seven similar structures in Moscow constructed during this period in what I call the "Soviet Neo-Gothic-lets-replace-all- the- Orthodox- Cathedrals- with- scary -and- impressive-but- similarly- religious- looking- buildings- only- taller" style!


It really is impressive. I actually really like the style. It's cool, isn't it?

So, yes, I'm in Moscow and blogging again--thanks for reading--BUT now, on to what this post is really about:

FOOD!

As many of you know, I love food. I'll eat anything. Really....(almost anything).

Below are some things I've been eating recently here in Moscow.

This is a Слойка с сосиской (a sloika s sosiskoi):


Yes. That's right, a pig in a blanket. Please note that in the above photo we have examples of both cooked and uncooked pigs in blankets.


Here are some more Слойки :



The above Слойки have cheese filling.


This слойка ,though you can't see it, has cherry filling.
Near any Metro station here in Moscow in many of the sometimes hundreds of kiosks you'll see as you exit the Metro, one can find numerous varities of Слойки for sale. They have слойка with cabbage, with cheese and potatoes, with apricot filling and with this gray and brown stringy filling that is called meat.

Since they are very cheap and since as I've aged I've lost all fear of ingesting the unknown and unlabled, I've been eating them a lot lately.


There is one thing here that I have not been able to bring myself to eat:


Холодец!
(kholodets)
As you are looking at the above photo and contemplating--asking yourself "What...is...that?", you will undoubtedly notice the thinly sliced hard boiled egg in the center.
Your keen eyes will quickly surmise that the green leafy garnish is surely parsely or dill.
And as you peer closer, below what you may perceive as a wet and liquid like surface, you'll discover expertly carved florets of carrot.
But you are still wondering " What...is....that?"
It's Холодец. But what is холодец? It's gelatin. Jello. That wet and liquid like surface is actually a food item so familiar to the Utah household, Jello. Gelatin. Meat Jello to be sure. And there, suspended in the cold, compact, jigglying lower depths near the serving platter...meat. Most likely beef.
Meat Jello.
Served with mustard!
Cold.
(холодо means cold)
Холодец is also often made with fish:




Try some today!!!




Returning to more North American perspectives, below is a link to an article I read in the NY Times online entitled:
"6 Food Mistakes Parents Make"
(I know I'm not a parent, but many of you are and I found it interesting so I wanted to pass it along...and I'm not pointing a finger at all...its just info. I mean, hey, you don't feed your kids pigs in a blanket or холодец do you?)
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/15/health/healthspecial2/15eat.html?ex=1379304000&en=916e6480bc36f917&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink
Anyway, if it seems like I'm bagging on Russian architecture or food, I'm not. I love it all. Just having a little fun.
For those of you who have commented on what a glamorous life I lead traversing the globes northern climes, I'm in Moscow teaching English for the next little while....that's sorta glamorous, isn't it?
More on that later!
Now get yourself some cold meat jello and hot mustard!

10 comments:

just jen said...

one time on my mission (i love when stories start that way), we were eating dinner with a filipino family and they served us jello made with milk and hot dogs. i am not lying. it was pretty gross. i tried it, so i know. please don't eat that meat jell-o.

and yes, i am in D.C. actually No. VA, but same thing, right? and i would love for you to come see us. wouldn't you have so much fun with the noblolos family?

King Family said...

the thought of the texture alone of the meat jello makes my stomach turn.....i liked the article i pretty much make all of the those mistakes so change is coming in our house! love the pics, makes me want to travel.
ps you can say piss all you want on my blog :)

Heather Anna said...

I didn't read the food mistakes article yet, but I will and then I will come back to defend myself and say, "blah, blah, blah I can't do everything right and be perfect, I'm trying, okay?!".

But I want to say, you have to be family to be, "Your people"? I think I deserve a picture on your sidebar . . .I know, I know we don't have one of you on our sidebar, but still, just sayin'.

Oh,and I didn't get to post about it yet, but so you're not in suspense Mags lost a tooth. Very exciting stuff.

Heather Anna said...

But at least we're in the slideshow, I can settle for that. :-) Love you!

Erin said...

Nathan T., don't you know you're only making me more envious of being in Moscow?! Oh, all except for the meat jello. I never had to try that stuff (thank goodness) while there. Tell me about this teaching English stuff. I was looking for a job out there (just for fun, of course). I often think I'd like to go back to Russia and learn more of the language. I love it there. Are you staying with the Marchenko's? Tell them hello for me! love to you!

Kelly Jo said...

oh nathan, thanks for your non smiling picture, love it! The meet jello, MMMmmmm. I've been thinking of you a lot b/c I'm working with six teenagers who were adopted from a Russian orphanage. Toola (sp?) is the name of the town they're from. They are such wonderful kids! I told them I have a friend in Moscow right now.
Miss you!

Mrs. Misses said...

I want the cronka c cocnckon now! That looks SO GOOD. Seriously, I wish you could mail it to me. But don't cause that would be gross. Especially not the meat jelly. Nasty.

What age group are you teaching?

Do you give them homework?

I am off to read that be-a-better-mom-article now.

Laurel Leaves said...

Date-Night. How do I love thee? I can not count that high.

You are looking super sexy even if the food makes me want to become anorexic.

Love your guts
Amy Laurel

Xerox Your Zebra!

Nicole said...

Hey World Traveler! What is going on? Congrats on your degree. My husband and I can't wait until May when he graduates. happy day.
nic

Effing Foreigner said...

I was laughing my ass off reading the comments about meat Jello :)

i guess people just imagine regular Jello out of a pack combined with meat.

in reality the "Jello" is just a very VERY concentrated meat and bones broth/stock which turns jello-like when put in the fridge.

here's Wikipedia article about the stuff:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspic