Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Mina rakastan Suomea

I cannot get over how beautiful and peaceful and balanced and still full of life and art and culture and food and....wow....Helsinki is amazing.... The Baltic Sea from the Island Fortress Suomenlinna--built to defend the city of Helsinki in the 18th century.
My host, Inkeri, took me on a 20km bike ride through the northeastern part of Helsinki along the Vantaanjoki (The River Vantaa) and through some beautiful woods full of pines and birches....past a public farm where the sheep adored me.... across bridges and past waterfalls and mills...







Ny next host, Howard, who is originally from Taipei and refuses to be photographed, took me on an amazing tour of the architecture of downtown Helsinki...these first few pictures are of this beautiful Luthern Church to which photos cannot deliver justice. It is built in a circle into the bedrock of the city--the sanctutary is a doomed circle of stone and copper and steel and light--the light is amazing! Oh--and the light in this city! The light! Oh the light!


THE church in Helsinki....towers above the harbor....beautiful...
Howard and Jukka's apartment....I know, right...
Some more pictures of the city--me trying desperately to capture--fumbling around, really to photograph some of the incredible detail and care and balance and beauty I see in the architecture, planning, art and the land all around me here...

Look at these details in the decoration of the buildings....or the care put into the window boxes or just the stunning harbor and the perfect sunset....I can't get over it...



(and if some of the pictures are, like, cut in half--please forgive me inaptitude with using blogger....just click on the pic and have a closer look)









Have I mentioned that I LOVE Finland and I am going to move here? I'm serious...

10 comments:

martha corinna said...

So beautiful and so cool. I can not wait to visit Finland. And I cannot wait for you to come home so we can talk. Love you.

Herrick said...

I want to move their too. They've just got it all together. "Finland, Finland, Finland, it's the country for me!" -from Spamalot.

Molly Rice said...

If you move to finland I will kill you.

Heather Anna said...

Amazing! You're doing pretty good for an amateur photographer!

Kelly Jo said...

so wonderful, man, i want to travel to all the cool places you get to go. . . can i come?!

Mrs. Misses said...

Did you watch that Conan where he goes to Finland? (Late Night with Conan O'Brien, excuse me)...it was hilarious but the land was so frozen and gray and boring. You must have seen the hidden beautiful parts during the non-wintery season. It's good for like two weeks, but just remember the beauty of Utah........and then come back and hang out with me so we can party and maybe go to "you da' homie!!"

sarahlouise said...

Those pics are amazing! I hope you are having so much fun. I can't wait to see you! (are you still coming home for christmas??) LOVE YOU!

King Family said...

WOW. Your pictures are great. I have never really wanted to go to Finland but your pictures have given me another dream destination to add to the list.

martha corinna said...

Is 'molly' mom? It sounds like her.

Anonymous said...

Nate,

You look great. I really enjoyed talking to you the other day. Where are all the pictures of Russia?