Friday, August 3, 2007

My BIG Sister is 35!



This is my sister Martha and me! Swinging together! My Dad did a good job of recording our young years.

In this next pic, Martha's the 3, maybe 4 year old on the fence with the big smile. My mom, in the great red pant suit, is holding me up on the fence. Today is Martha's birthday. She turns...maybe I shouldn't have posted her age....
but I think she's comfortable with it--I hope. This is a photo of the day we were all sealed in the Idaho Falls Temple. I believe it was just the four of us--Martha, Me, Mom and Dad. I could be wrong--Andy may have been there too...

One moment I wish my Dad had caught on film, but be wasn't there. It was just Martha and me: Martha taught me to ride a bike--without training wheels. When we lived in the red and gray-ish house on Main Street in Crosby, MN we were less than a block away from the park that was adjacent to the Hallet Library--It was probably Hallet Park. At any rate, there was a great smooth black top covered drive through the park that was rarely, if ever, used by cars. In later years, I remember speeding and zipping along its surface under the tall Norway pines that filled "Hallet" Park. But before I became such an adept biker, one early 80's summer day, Martha patiently walked and ran along side my now trainer-wheel-less bright red bike--steadying me until I could do it alone. I still remember how when, after many tries, Martha let go of my bike and I soared away--balancing and peddling all by myself. It was a fantastic moment--a freedom and independence I hadn't felt before. I still remember Martha behind me joyously shouting "You're doing it! You're doing it!"


Thanks for teaching me how to ride a bike Martha! I love and miss you! Hope you have an amazing day! I am so glad we keep in touch and can be there to love and support each other!

8 comments:

martha corinna said...

Oh Nate, this is beautiful. I don't remember doing it but I'm sure I was such a good teacher :)
There is something wrong with my memory, I wish I could watch my past(some of it)as a movie. Perhaps that would jog some memories.

Nanny McPhee said...

hello,
i've gone backwards, or backtracked, to find you.
i keep looking for your thoughtful comments on segullah's blog....but to no avail.
anyway, i've missed them.
and happy birthday to your sister!

martha corinna said...

Nate, sounds like you need to comment on segullah more. I would like that.

Mrs. Misses said...

What an adorable picture of both of you! It's so fun to see how much adults look like their baby pictures and you guys are spittin images. I love your narratives, Nathan, and can almost hear you talking. I wish I could hear your voice. Rhett's birthday was yesterday....happy birthday, Martha!! I remember how super cool I thought you were, Martha, when I was in high school and how I wish I had your style. I'm sure I would still think that if I saw you, but I read your blog too. Anyway...I'll be 30 this year and it seems scary, but you are tackling 35 fabulously, so maybe there's hope!

martha corinna said...

Hey Nate that smile of mine in the last picture is kind of a demonic 'sister dearest' smile. Hope I was never 'sister dearest'.

Kelly Jo said...

Happy Birthday Martha (by the way, I'm a blog stalker and really enjoy your blog!)
Nate, I sent you an invite to my blog, but I don't know if you still use your yahoo email address. My blog is private so my crazy clients don't find me!! Let me know if I sent it to the wrong address.
Miss you!!
Kelly Jo

Cottonia said...

Glad to see you post again...btw, to update the historical record, Andy was at the temple; in the womb so to speak.

Dad

King Family said...

Your baby picture totally cracked me up because it looks just like you but as a baby. "duh" you say but most baby pictures I see look so different than the adult pictures. You are such a cute little guy with your chubby cheeks and curls. (BTW, you don't have chubby cheeks now, I know).....I also love your mom's pant suit. She looks like such a young hip mom..Happy Birthday to your sister! I stalk her blog all the time, she is hilarious.